• Home
  • Home-Based Business

    If you reside in the Town of Westlock and you run a business out of your home you may require a Development Permit for a Home Business. 

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us: planning@westlock.ca
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    Approval of a home-based business involves two components:

    1. Development Permit: A development permit may be required if clients/customers must visit the location to receive services. Once approved, the development permit is valid for as long as the occupant continues to operate the home-based business at the same location unless it is revoked for sufficient cause under the Land Use Bylaw . If the occupant plans to relocate to another home or expand or change the business in the same home, a new development permit is required.  
    2. Business License:  This license is renewed annually in January. 

    Home-based businesses are subject to the following regulations under the Town’s Land Use Bylaw:

    • No more than 20% or 30.0 sq. m (323 sq. ft), whichever is less, of the home shall be occupied by the home business
    • Storage for the home business may occur either within the home or within an accessory building like a garage or shed
    • No outdoor business activity or outdoor storage of material or equipment is allowed on the property
    • One (1) commercial vehicle not exceeding 1.0tonne, may be used in conjunction with the home business
    • One (1) non-resident employee or business partner may work in the home business
    • No more than 3 clients or customers can be on-site at any one time
    • One fascia sign, placed in a window or attached to the exterior of the residence, is permitted on the home to promote the home business, not exceeding 0.4 sq. m (4.3 sq. ft)

    Some types of businesses are not suitable to be operated as a home business. In these circumstances, the business is directed to locate in a more suitable location in either a commercial or industrial district. Businesses are not permitted in the home if they:

    • Change the character or appearance of the dwelling or any accessory buildings
    • Create any nuisance including noise, dust, odour, smoke or anything of an offensive or objectionable nature
    • Involve mechanical or electrical equipment which creates external noise or visible or audible interference with home electronics or computer equipment in adjacent homes
    • Involve activities that use or store hazardous material in quantities exceeding those of a typical household
    • Interfere with the use, enjoyment or value of neighbouring properties

    Submit an application for each permit, along with other relevant documents, to Planning & Development Services (contact info below).

    1 - Determine which applications you need.
    (See What permits do I need, above). You can then download checklists and forms (below) and complete them.

    Development Permits & Checklists

    Home Business Development Permit Application Package

    Business License Application

    Business License Application

    2 – Apply with all the required documentation. 

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003-106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

     Email to: planning@westlock.ca 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.


    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to finance@westlock.ca (please include "Permit" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on Development Permit application
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    How long will it take to obtain my permits?

    Timelines vary based on the type of application as well as our current application volumes.   Give yourself as much time as possible to complete the permit process prior to your preferred construction start date in case of any complications or revisions required.   


    All businesses operating within the Town of Westlock are required to obtain a Business License as per Bylaw 2015-09. This also includes businesses that are not from Westlock but performing work within Westlock. Business License’s are valid for the calendar year (January 1 – December 31) and must be renewed yearly.

     Along with the purchase of a Business License, your business will be advertised in our local print business directory and on the Town of Westlock website Business Directory.


     Resident Business License


     Non-Resident Business License

     $200.00/year or $50.00/day

     Hawker/Peddler License

     $100.00/year or $35.00/day

     Event/Festival License