Main content of the website

  • Home
  • Subdivision

    Subdivision allows the boundaries of a parcel(s) of land to be changed.  This could involve adjusting the boundary line between two parcels or subdividing one parcel into multiple smaller parcels.

    Subdivisions are subject to the requirements of the Municipal Government Act, Subdivision and Development Regulations, Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Development Plan and other legislation and regulations.

    Download or view the Subdivision Application Process PDF.

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us:
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB
    • A boundary adjustment is desired and the owners of both affected properties are in agreement;
    • The owner wishes to split two or more separate properties into separate titles where two or more properties are on the same title and the subdivision was registered at Alberta Land Titles prior to 1950;
    • The owner wishes to split a parcel into one or more new parcels and all of the resulting parcels would comply with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw respecting minimum lot size.
    • When creating separate land titles for each unit of a condominium development

    Apply in person or by email. Online applications are not available for subdivision approval.

    1. Review the subdivision application package.
    2. Complete the application form.
    3. Prepare other documents (eg. Certificate of Title, subdivision sketch) as indicated in the requirements.
    4. An application fee is required; the cost will vary depending on the complexity of your proposed subdivision. Planning & Development will review your application and specify your fee.
    5. Submit your application to:

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003-106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

     Email to: 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.


    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to (please include "Subdivision" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on the application form
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    TIP: Prior to formally submitting your application, consider a pre-application meeting. This allows you to talk with staff to discuss your subdivision proposal and identify any major obstacles or opportunities. Request a pre-application meeting by contacting Planning & Development

    After you have submitted your application, we will contact you for missing information or further clarification, if necessary. This will delay your application, so make sure that your information is complete and accurate.