• Home
  • Expanding or Relocating a Business

    The information on this page will guide you through the process of obtaining approvals to expand or relocate your existing business in Westlock.

    Check out business and investment tools on our Community Profile page.

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us: planning@westlock.ca
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    If your business is expanding at its current location, a Development and Building Permit will most likely be required.

    The Development Permit looks at the impacts of the increased size of your business on the surrounding area and will ensure that you have sufficient parking available to meet the needs of your larger floor area.

    The Building Permit ensures that your additional space is safe to occupy and meets the Alberta Building Code requirements for your type of business.

    If you are considering moving your business there are many factors that can impact your decision.  Planning & Development can help you determine if a location is suitable for your business and what approvals you may need for your new site.

    A Development and Building Permit will most likely be required, depending on what the use of the new space was before you moved in.

    If you are only changing your mailing address and not the physical location, an update can be done to your business license free of charge.

    Submit an application for each permit, along with other relevant documents, to Planning & Development Services (contact info below).

    1 - Determine which applications you need.
    (See What permits do I need, above). You can then download checklists and forms (below) and complete them.

    NOTE: Development and Building Permits must be applied for and approved prior to safety codes permit applications.  We recommend applying for Development and Building Permits concurrently.

    Development Permits & Checklists

    Non-Residential Development Permit Application Package

    Building Permits & Checklists

    Building Permit Application Form

    Business License Application

    Business License Application

    2 - Have drawings ready:

    • Site Plan – dimensioned, showing the location of a business on site, available parking (number and size of stalls labelled)
    • Floor Plan – dimensioned, showing the use of rooms inside

    3 – Apply with all the required documentation. 

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003-106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

     Email to: planning@westlock.ca 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.


    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to finance@westlock.ca (please include "Permit" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on Development Permit application
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    How long will it take to obtain my permits?

    Timelines vary based on the type of application as well as our current application volumes.  Give yourself as much time as possible to complete the permit process prior to your preferred construction start date in case of any complications or revisions required.