• Home
  • Recycling Programs

    Curbside Blue Bag(s) Recycling is available for all households with curbside garbage collection.
    Dispose of unwanted items hazardous waste items and other materials requiring special handling.
    Not for profit organization with a mission to reduce electronic waste
    Recycle My Cell (RMC) is Canada’s national recycling program for mobile devices.



    Blue Bag Recycling

    Curbside Blue Bag(s) Recycling is available for all households that pay for curbside garbage collection service. Blue Bag(s) Recycling is collected every week. Simply put your acceptable recyclables in clear Blue Bags, and place them at your curbside on the day of your scheduled collection. Please ensure that Blue Bags are out at the curb before 7 a.m. Recycling MUST be bagged.
    • No sorting or tags needed
    • There is no limit to the number of clear Blue Bag(s) residents can put at the curbside
    • Please ensure only appropriate materials are put in your Blue Bag(s)
    • Blue Bag(s) can be purchased at any grocery or hardware store that sells garbage bags
    • Please remember to tie your Blue Bag(s) at the top

    Acceptable Items

    • Corrugated Cardboard
      flatten, fold and place beneath blue bags (maximum size is three feet by three feet)
    • Newsprint/Heavy Paper 
      newspaper, magazines, phone books, catalogues, flyers
    • Boxboard
      collapsed cereal boxes, pasta boxes, shoe boxes, etc.
    • Mixed Paper
      office paper, gift wrap, junk mail, paperback books, paper bags, etc.
    • Deposit Items*
      milk cartons and jugs, pop and beer cans, wine, water, beer, juice boxes and juice tetra packs
    • Containers*
      metal cans and plastic household containers such as laundry bottles and food and beverage, food, soup) containers The recycle symbol is found on the bottom of the plastic container and looks like:

      *Please ensure all containers and deposit items are rinsed and caps and lids are discarded.

    Unacceptable Items

    •  Aerosol cans
    • Aluminum containers / aluminum foil / aluminum pie plates
    • Bubble wrap / Plastic film
    • Ceramics
    • Clothes
    • Diapers
    • Hazardous waste (e.g. - batteries, paint, fertilizer, oils)
    • Electronics
    • Food scraps
    • Glass (coloured or clear)
    • Non-deposit jars
    • Plastic bags
    • Plastic toys
    • Scrap metal, wood and other building materials
    • Shredded Paper
    • Small appliances
    • Soiled paper (used tissue/paper towel, dirty pizza boxes)
    • Styrofoam - Un-rinsed food containers
    • Tin foil
    • Yard waste

    Household Hazardous Waste

    What is Household Hazardous Waste?
    Household hazardous wastes include products that are: Examples
    Corrosive - can eat away at surfaces, even skinBatteries, drain cleaners and oven cleaners
    Flammable - burns or ignites easilyPaints, oils and BBQ starters
    Explosive - can explode when mixed with other chemicals or react under pressure or heatAerosols and propane tanks
    Toxic/Poison - can be poisonous or lethal to living organisms, even in small quantitiesBleach cleaning fluids and pesticides
    For a list of common household hazardous wastes you may not even realize are hazardous, visit the Alberta Environment website (Note: the Town's Household Hazardous Waste Round-up only accepts certain materials).
    Proper Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste
    Town of Westlock residents can take household hazardous wastes to the Westlock Regional Landfill, which is located on Range Road 262 south of Highway #18 east of Westlock, for information, call 780.307-2456.
    Hazardous Waste Round-up
    Every year, the Westlock Regional Waste Commission Service hosts a Household Hazardous Waste Round-up. This event provides an opportunity for residents to discard unwanted items hazardous waste items, and other materials requiring special handling, and divert them from landfill sites at no charge.

    These include:

    • antifreeze
    • batteries (household and automotive)
    • brake fluid
    • motor oil and filters
    • fluorescent light bulbs and tubes
    • herbicides, insecticides and lawn care products
    • old prescription and over-the-counter medications
    • propane tanks
    • pool chemicals
    • household cleaners
    • paints, paint cleaners and solvents
    • adhesives and polishes
    • bug sprays, pesticides, poisons
    • and more.

    Acceptable E-waste materials include:

    • computers
    • CPU’s/servers
    • keyboards
    • mouse
    • cables/speakers(household or car)
    • monitors
    • printers/printer combinations
    • laptops/notebooks
    Residents are asked to use non-returnable containers only. Commercial, institutional, agricultural or industrial waste is not permitted.
    This year's Household Hazardous Waste Round-up takes place on 9am-1pm at the Westlock Regional Landfill. For information, contact the Town Office at 780.349.4444, or send an email.


    Electronic Recycling Association

    What does the Electronic Recycling Association do? They are a not for profit organization with a mission to reduce electronic waste and the negative impact it has on the environment by reusing and recycling unwanted computers, laptops and other electronic equipment. They tend to prevent unwanted electronics from ending up in landfills or being prematurely disposed of and recycled when there is somebody that can still use them, maximize the life span of computers by refurbishing and donating them to local charities and other not for profit organizations at no cost, and, if the equipment is not suitable for donation, recycle it in an environmentally friendly way.

    For additional information, check out their website at http://www.era.ca/

    Electronic recycling is also available at the Westlock Regional Landfill.

    Recycle My Cell

    Recycle My Cell (RMC) is Canada’s national recycling program for mobile devices.  It is a free, convenient and easy way to recycle old and unwanted cell phones, smartphones and accessories (rechargeable cell phone batteries, chargers, etc.) The program is organized by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunication Association (CWTA) and partners with wireless carriers, handset manufacturers, processors and other interested parties.

    Recycle My Cell currently has over 400 locations within Alberta.  Each location accepts used or unwanted wireless devices regardless of make, model or condition.  Residents are able to determine whether a physical drop-off location is accessible to them by entering their postal code at recyclemycell.ca.  The website also provides the most up-to-date information as new drop-off locations become available.  In the event residents are not able to go to a location, they also have the option to print a pre-paid mailing label and mail their device through Canada Post.

    The website also includes steps on how to delete personal information from wireless devices, provides answers to frequently asked questions, and highlights the various programs operated by their partners.